[TriLUG] SOLVED Re: booting off usbstick

Joseph Mack NA3T via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Fri Jul 24 10:50:06 EDT 2020

On Fri, 24 Jul 2020, David Brain via TriLUG wrote:

> I don't think usb sticks are really intended to be that fast, looking here,
> https://usb.userbenchmark.com/) none of them are that quick, which
> certainly alights with my experience or using them.  I don't think they're
> really designed with being primary storage in mind.

understood. It's a little like having a filesystem on a tape drive.

> A $20 SSD is most likely going to give massively better performance.

I don't really have that option. The box of interest is a 2U server with no
powerheaders and not a lot of spare room. As well I would have to find something
to glue the SSD to (the drive bays being used for storage, the original
criterion for wanting to boot off anything but a SATA/SAS drive).

I could put an SSD stick onto a PCIe card, but I was hoping that I could get
away with using an external usb stick.

Joe

jmack (at) wm7d (dot) net - azimuthal equidistant
map generator at http://www.wm7d.net/azproj.shtml