[TriLUG] Performance analysis of multi services on container Docker, LXC, and LXD by Telcom University Indonesia

Hrivnak, Michael via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Tue Jul 28 16:26:50 EDT 2020

It's a shame they didn't cite chich versions of components they used,
especially the kernel since these are all basically wrappers and UIs around
kernel features. It's also a shame that the authors presumably used a
kernel that was years-old by the time of publication. A lot has changed,
and a lot of performance improvements have been made since Ubuntu 16.04 was
released. Perhaps some backports made it into that LTS release, but we'll
never know how much was included in this experiment.

This nugget raised both eyebrows: "This research focuses on the three most
used PaaS: FTP Server, Web Server, and Mail Server."

Container performance is an interesting topic, and it continues to evolve
quickly. For most use cases, you'll get near-native performance, and your
choice of technology will have more to do with management and
lifecycles than the subtleties of which tool offers a hair better
performance for today's version of your workload on today's kernel and
today's choice of filesystem.