[TriLUG] Mesh WiFi

Bill Weinel via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Tue Oct 27 10:45:11 EDT 2020

It also heavily depends on the local WiFi RF environment. If you're out in
the middle of nowhere with no neighbors nearby, then one AP may work just
great over a good distance. If you're in a dense neighborhood with lots of
WiFi around, then it's a different story. The best WiFi system is always
designed for the existing RF environment. In my system (in town in a
neighborhood with lots of WiFi around) I use two wired Ubiquiti APs (one
located centrally inside the house and one located in the detached garage
at the back of the property.) They are both wired into my network and on
different channels to avoid nearby interference. They are also both range
and speed limited to prevent channel overlap interference as much as
possible. When it comes to WiFi tuning, having good control software is the
key. I have found Ubiquiti Unifi to be second to none in getting this job
done. However it may be a bit intimidating for the novice. YMMV

cheers,
bill