[TriLUG] Mesh WiFi

Daniel Sterling via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Tue Oct 27 12:38:22 EDT 2020

On Mon, Oct 26, 2020 at 2:55 PM Thomas Delrue via TriLUG
<trilug at trilug.org> wrote:
> Just as a general feelers-being-put-out... Does anyone have opinions or
> experiences with Mesh WiFi products (e.g. Amplifi or Ubiquiti) for home use?

I've been running the Amplifi HD units with decent results. They *do*
need to be rebooted occasionally as performance goes wonky sometimes
-- high latency and jitter.

To be clear I'm talking about just this unit - the $150 HD Router --
https://store.amplifi.com/products/amplifi-hd-mesh-router

Amplifi has a number of options but in my house I just have several of
those $150 HD units with no other types of mesh points. You can wire
them together, you can set up meshes between any two, etc. It has
Spanning Tree Protocol in the advanced menu so you can turn that on to
prevent accidentally creating a loop if you use both wires and
wireless mesh together.

They work quite well, except for needing the occasional reboot. No
issues with them failing to come back up after a reboot and mesh
together properly.

Eero may work well too, they seem to have a good reputation but I
haven't tried them.

-- Dan