[TriLUG] network storage drive spin up policy: how often for longest life? And can the SMART parms be hacked (reset)?

Pete Soper via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Wed Dec 2 13:14:04 EST 2020

I have "new" drives on my old Odroid C4-based network storage system and
I can arrange for them to stay spinning almost arbitrarily. My question
for the group is how often should I spin them up, or should I just leave
them spinning if my goal is longest life? The drives are  HGST 0F14689
7200rpm 3TB 3.5" with SATA 6Gbps interface.

And I'm curious if a supplier can do the disc drive equivalent of
putting the car up on blocks and driving it in reverse to set the
odometer back, such as by erasing the internal  power on parameter
smartctl shows? Out of a set of four three passed e2fsck surface
analysis with zero bad blocks found and identical capacity, while number
four had a metric boat load of bad blocks, making me suspicious. The
drives were all manufactured in 2013  and sold by disctech.com

Thanks,
Pete

PS The RPI 4 project didn't work out. I'm not in the mood to provide the
body but the headlines are that the RPI 4 is not ready for prime time
vis a vis USB3.