[TriLUG] network storage drive spin up policy: how often for longest life? And can the SMART parms be hacked (reset)?

Mauricio Tavares via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Wed Dec 2 13:22:51 EST 2020

On Wed, Dec 2, 2020 at 1:19 PM Pete Soper via TriLUG <trilug at trilug.org> wrote:

> I have "new" drives on my old Odroid C4-based network storage system and
> I can arrange for them to stay spinning almost arbitrarily. My question
> for the group is how often should I spin them up, or should I just leave
> them spinning if my goal is longest life? The drives are  HGST 0F14689
> 7200rpm 3TB 3.5" with SATA 6Gbps interface.

      I think spinny drives do not like to be booted. And, I never had
luck with odd sized drives, but that is now a mute point as they are
no longer sized in powers of 2.

> And I'm curious if a supplier can do the disc drive equivalent of
> putting the car up on blocks and driving it in reverse to set the
> odometer back, such as by erasing the internal  power on parameter
> smartctl shows? Out of a set of four three passed e2fsck surface
> analysis with zero bad blocks found and identical capacity, while number
> four had a metric boat load of bad blocks, making me suspicious. The
> drives were all manufactured in 2013  and sold by disctech.com

      Don't know what to suggest; all I can say is in kitty school
told us to never get all drives from the same batch (multiple vendors
or multiple orders might address that)