[TriLUG] Google fiber

Esther L via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Fri Dec 4 09:09:00 EST 2020

Google Fiber service for the part of my neighborhood that's 1.3 miles down
the main neighborhood road went active 3 years ago.
In Feb/March this year, GF started digging fiber on my street. They are not
doing the micro-trech technique with the 'black snakes' now. The crews saw
a slightly wider trench at the border between gutter and pavement, and fill
it with some sort of concrete. It took at least a month after we stopped
hearing concrete saw work before the service could be ordered. They also
put Google Fiber plates in some homeowner yards (at street corners,
mostly).

We signed up for GF around July 1.  I STRONGLY advise being outdoors with
the contractor who hooks up your house outside and watching them.
The contractor decided to punch a hole through our crawlspace vent to run
the conduit under our house.  It took a month of calling the Google
Construction Experience team and visits from various contractors to get the
conduit re-routed through an existing access pipe through the bricks which
my husband had pointed out to the first contractor team.
My husband spent a while in the crawlspace (you can stand mostly upright
there) with the repair crew - I don't remember what they did for the hole
in the foundation vent.

Activating your service requires outdoor connecting work, and 1 indoor
visit to set up the equipment. The outdoor contractors will not call to
schedule, they will just ring your doorbell if they need to talk with you.
We had separate crews who ran fiber from street to our house, and who
mounted the box on the outside of the house. The crew who ran the fiber
from street to house was the problematic one.
We have not had an outage yet, our service went active August 3, 2020.

We are happy with the GF speed - it's better than Spectrum business class.
Esther Lumsdon