[TriLUG] Google fiber

Wes Garrison via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Thu Dec 3 21:29:51 EST 2020

The only way to use your own router with AT&T (without having the weird
extra switch/vlan hardware in between) is to solder a header to the
internal Broadcom UART in a BGW-210 modem/router, mount a specific
partition, copy the mfg.dat file to a USB drive and extract the 802.1x
certificate on a PC.

Here's a (closed source, Windows) tool to extract the cert from the
partition:
https://www.devicelocksmith.com/2018/12/eap-tls-credentials-decoder-for-nvg-and.html

I've done this with several, and I'm really happy with the result, but it's
not a quick and simple project.

I agree with Daniel Sterling that Google's motivation was to give the
cable/ILEC monopolies a kick in the pants;  I think many of us just hoped
Google would actually serve us.  In areas where Google hasn't announced GF,
AT&T is charging MUCH higher prices for their "Gigapower" Uverse fiber.