[TriLUG] Google fiber

Michael Marley via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Thu Dec 3 19:17:29 EST 2020

Just curious, what method are you using to do the swap-out?  It's been a
while, but when I researched it a while back, the only methods I could
find required manual intervention to restore connectivity if power was
lost or the router got rebooted or something.

Also, since you mention "NAT box" I should add that Google Fiber offers
a /56 of native IPv6, so (for sites supporting the current version of
the Internet protocol, anyway) you don't need NAT at all!  AT&T fiber
(again, when I last checked) offered only a /64 of 6rd, which is a
tunnel and also isn't a large enough prefix for more than one subnet.

Google Fiber certainly hasn't been a disappointment for me.  I get the
advertised speed (full duplex), a /56 of native IPv6, a routable legacy
IP, you can (now, officially) use your own router without any
tomfoolery, and there haven't been any reliability issues.

Michael