[TriLUG] Google fiber

David Both via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Sun Dec 6 08:56:52 EST 2020

   When the installer did my setup he and I worked on it together to put
   it in bridge mode and remove the blocks. It does turn out that all
   blocks like outbound SMTP are managed by AT&T in the router itself. It
   is a web interface and the login info is on a label so it was easy to
   access.

   I have had 100% uptime and solid symmetric bandwidth of 985Mb or so
   since it was installed in January of this year. I cannot really
   complain about getting those last few bits.

   I have really disliked AT&T due to a horrible experience I had with
   them a bit over a decade ago in the days of DSL. My connection was down
   for over a month. I finally had to call my U.S. Representative to get
   it resolved. I really hesitated before going back to them but when
   Spectrum turned off the business class cable and started running my
   connection over the residential cable, I started getting horrible
   bandwidth, a flaky router they would not fix, and significantly more
   downtime.

   I had been waiting for Google but gave that up as a lost cause. I
   finally gave in and called AT&T and am glad I did. Hopefully Google
   will get here eventually but I am not holding my breath.

   And Scott was my tech. He knew what he was about since he is a gamer.