[TriLUG] Problem determination help needed

Lance A. Brown via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Mon Jan 11 18:09:11 EST 2021

David Both via TriLUG wrote on 1/11/2021 5:39 PM:
> The problem is with the NIC connected to the wireless router - I have trioed a couple different
> TP-Link 5G routers with 4-port Gb switches. I get only about 350Mb/s when using a wired
> connection through the physical Gb switch on the router. I also eliminated the router by
> connecting my laptop directly to the "slow" NIC. I have also replaced the NIC with a brand new
> one. All three NICs are identical TP-Link PCIx Gb devices.
Many (most?) of the consumer grade wireless routers cannot support full gigabit throughput on their
wired interfaces.  The internal hardware is just not up to snuff.  Do you get full speed with your
laptop plugged into your system on the NIC dedicated to the wireless router?  If so, its definitely
the hardware in your wireless routers.

My Asus RT-AC3200 is plugged into my Northstate fibermodem.  Best it can do is 400Mbit.  If I plug
directly into the fibermodem I get 940-960Mbit like I'm supposed to.

--[Lance]