[TriLUG] Laptop Question

Wes Garrison via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Fri Jan 15 12:31:11 EST 2021

I agree with John.

If you like Ubuntu, install either Ubuntu or Debian Testing and run the
XFCE or Mate (pronounced "mahtay") desktop.  Both are based on Gnome2, and
are very light on resources.  Another bonus (for me anyway) is that both
seem to share almost all of their keyboard shortcuts with Windows, so if
you're a keyboard user the learning curve is pretty low.

I prefer Debian and Mate, but Ubuntu and XFCE are also perfectly good.
Lots of people really like Linux Mint, but others feel that it is an unholy
bastard hybrid of Ubuntu, Debian, and other Frankenstein bits of software.

It's nothing you can't get by enabling Universe and Multiverse on Ubuntu or
contrib and non-free on Debian and installing some firmware blobs.