[TriLUG] TCP connections taking forever to form?

Brian via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Tue Feb 2 10:25:45 EST 2021

Hi Gang,

Something very strange is going on with my Centos 7.4 system, which acts
as my firewall and server of various things.  Mundane operations are
taking ages to complete and I think I have narrowed it down to a problem
establishing TCP connections.

I finally tracked down the slowdown by combing through a particular
shell-script I was using, so my examples below come from that (getssl).

I'm testing with this command:
$ time curl --user-agent "getssl/2.33" -I
"https://acme-staging-v02.api.letsencrypt.org/"

Running that on my desktop machine (which is downstream of the server)
gives me a response right away:
[...]
real	0m0.375s
user	0m0.016s
sys	0m0.015s

Running it on the server itself takes AGES:
[...]
real	2m7.775s
user	0m0.076s
sys	0m0.094s

Two MINUTES for a simple http request!  How can I figure out what in the
world is causing this?  I'm stumped...

TIA,
-Brian