[TriLUG] calling dns experts

Aaron Joyner via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Mon Mar 8 11:42:30 EST 2021

`dig +trace <domain>` is your friend.  It will walk down from the root
nameserver records, and attempt to resolve the record at each server along
the way.  If you're seeing inconsistent results, run it several times, or
step through each of the authoritative servers returned at each step, to
verify what each of them returns.  Note that the most likely outcome is
indeed that you'll just have to wait out the propagation delay and cache
timeouts.  Note that most server implementations also do negative caching,
meaning that if there was a brief period that the domain did not resolve,
they may cache that for up to the SOA minimum value (
https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2308 for the finer details).  You'll have to
wait out the negative cache TTL to be sure all the recursive resolvers will
return the correct results.

Good things come to those who wait,
Aaron S. Joyner