[TriLUG] Network configuration help?

Brian McCullough via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Fri Apr 30 09:35:50 EDT 2021

Folks,

I seem to have run into the proverbial brick wall, so am coming to "the
Oracle" for help.  I know that this may seem trivial to some of you, but
I don't do it often enough to have it in "muscle memory."

I have a wired network at home, and I want to add a "guest" WiFi subnet
to it.

I have a ZyXEL router that I have used in the past, and did a factory
reset on it.

I then plugged its WAN port into the existing network ( by way of a
switch ), and started working on configuration.

I can see that it has been assigned an IP ( v4 ) address by the main
router, and on the ZyXEL it shows the WAN port as up, but there is no
address on the status page.

When I plug a laptop into one of the ZyXEL's ports, it can get an
address, but it can't see the outside world.

I tried to make the local LAN the same address range as the global one,
as a different 192.168../24 address, and as a 172.16../24 address, but,
while all of those work to give the laptop access to the router, nothing
goes out.

After giving up at that point, I have wondered about assiging a static
address to the WAN port on the ZyXEL, but otherwise, I am stuck.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Brian