[TriLUG] Weird screen capture bug - ubuntu

Jeffery Painter via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Thu Apr 29 15:32:33 EDT 2021

Hello trilugger's!

I just came across a very strange bug and Googlin' hasn't helped me find
an answer.

I am running Ubuntu with the Mate desktop:

painter at merlin:~$ cat /etc/lsb-release
DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
DISTRIB_RELEASE=20.04
DISTRIB_CODENAME=focal
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS"

painter at merlin:~$ uname -a
Linux merlin 5.4.0-72-generic #80-Ubuntu SMP Mon Apr 12 17:35:00 UTC 2021
x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Google Chrome: Version 90.0.4430.93 (Official Build) (64-bit)

One of my favorite tools is the "Take Screenshot" app.  I had not used it
in a while, and tried to take a screen shot of Google Chrome.  The
screenshot app allows you to set a count-down timer, to grab the entire
screen or just an active window.

It is working fine with every thing I've tried EXCEPT taking a screenshot
of Chrome  (firefox, terminal, pluma, etc. all works fine).

I don't get any error messages, it just bonks out and no
screenshot-???.png is generated.

I tried the keyboard shortcuts and they also are working fine 1.
printscreen for entire desktop capture, and 2. alt+printscreen for any
active screen.  But, again the active window keyboard shortcut fails only
for Google Chrome.

Are they doing something funky here to prevent screenshots of Chrome web
browsing?  I had not run into this issue before.

My short term solution was to grab the entire desktop, then used gimp to
crop only the web browser portions out.  A little more effort, but it
worked.

Thanks!

-
Jeffery Painter