[TriLUG] Network configuration help?

Brian McCullough via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Mon May 3 11:04:51 EDT 2021

On Fri, Apr 30, 2021 at 11:39:22AM -0400, Triangle Linux Users Group discussion list wrote:
> Yes, you're understanding perfectly.  That should accomplish what you want.

Unfortunately, our definitions of perfectly seem to differ by a bit.

OK, so I THINK that I got the configuration of the VLAN ( #2 ) set up on
the OpenWRT machine, with that interface marked as Tagged and attached
only to VLAN2.

When I plug a device into that port, the OpenWRT DHCP assigns it an
address.  Fine, so far.

The other end of that cable is plugged into one of the four ports on the
ZyXEL.

DHCP is turned off on the ZyXEL.

Before I plugged that cable in, I set up the WiFi configuration on the
ZyXEL with my laptop.  The laptop address was assigned by the ZyXEL's
DCHP before I turned that off.

The configuration on the ZyXEL wants the "LAN" to have an IP address. Do
I set it to the same address as was assigned from the OpenWRT DHCP?

What about the other three ports on the ZyXEL?  At least during setup, I
want to plug my laptop into there to work on the ZyXEL configuration.

At present, with "192.168.1.252" assigned by the OpenWRT box, and, by
default, "192.168.1.1" assigned to the "LAN" by the ZyXEL, I have no
communication from the ZyXEL outwards.

I attempted to add a Static Route for Default on the ZyXEL, pointing it
to the LAN address, but that was not accepted.

Grr.

Yes, I read Steve Gibson's various ( versions ) articles, and, yes, that
is exactly the concept that I think that we are all agreeing upon, or at
least one of his IoT versions or variants with two routers, but it is
the details that I seem to be stuck on.

Brian