[TriLUG] Network configuration help?

Joseph Mack NA3T via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Mon May 3 12:49:16 EDT 2021

On Mon, 3 May 2021, Brian McCullough via TriLUG wrote:

> OK, so I THINK that I got the configuration of the VLAN ( #2 ) set up on
> the OpenWRT machine, with that interface marked as Tagged and attached
> only to VLAN2.

I think your OpenWRT machine is the main router, which connects to your
ISP.

> When I plug a device into that port, the OpenWRT DHCP assigns it an
> address.  Fine, so far.

for discussion, give us the address range. I assume it's not
192.168.1.0/24, since that's the address range of the ZyXEL LAN.

> The other end of that cable is plugged into one of the four ports on the
> ZyXEL.
>
> DHCP is turned off on the ZyXEL.

good.

> Before I plugged that cable in, I set up the WiFi configuration on the
> ZyXEL with my laptop.  The laptop address was assigned by the ZyXEL's
> DCHP before I turned that off.

The WAP (here the ZyXEL) on the LAN side has its own static IP (likely
192.168.1.1, which you can set through the configuration page). The 4 LAN
ports are a switch. They don't have IPs. There is only 1 IP on the LAN
side of the WAP (192.168.1.1).

I suggest that you don't change that IP. Someone in the far distant future
(likely you) might have to see why this WAP is not behaving and unless you
want to write the new address on the side of the WAP, you want to be able
to get into the box after disconnecting it from the network. You may have
to reset it to defaults (by pressing the button on boot), and you would
like it to have the same IP after resetting. I have a script on my laptop
which adds 192.168.1.253 to my ethernet card and for good measure fires up
dhcpd on that address. Thus anything I plug into my laptop, is likely to
come up pingable.

Set up your ZyXEL (SSID, turn off dhcpd) from the laptop. Now check that
another wifi client can associate with the ZyXEL SSID and get an IP (from
the laptop). You ZyXEL is now setup.

Setup the main router to dhcpd addresses on a different network, say
192.168.2.0/24. You will have to change the IP on the LAN side of your
main router, to say 192.168.2.253. (Since machines that you buy all come
configured with IPs x.x.x.1, I try not to have any of my machines with an
address x.x.x.1.). Connect a port on the LAN side of the main router to
the LAN side of the ZyXEL. There is no network connection between the
192.168.2.0/24 on the main router to the 192.168.1.1 on the ZyXEL. The
192.168.1.1 is only there if you ever want to mess with the ZyXEL. wifi
clients connecting through the ZyXEL associate with the SSID and the WAP
acting as a bridge broadcasts the dhcp request out its 4 LAN ports. The
address 192.168.1.1 on the WAP is not involved since no dhcpd is running
on it. The home router hands the wifi client an address in the
192.168.2.0/24 range. You're done.

If you want to add a 2nd ZyXEL, you leave it on 192.168.1.1 too, with
dhcpd turned off. You could have a mess of ZyXELs all on 192.168.1.1.  The
home router won't know about them (being on 192.168.2.0/24). You could
have 4 ZyXELs all with 192.168.1.1 all connected to the switch on the LAN
side of your home router. Maybe they arp now and again, but they don't
cause any problems and you know that when you want to mess with them, they
all have the same IP.

> The configuration on the ZyXEL wants the "LAN" to have an IP address. Do
> I set it to the same address as was assigned from the OpenWRT DHCP?

I assume I've answered that.

> What about the other three ports on the ZyXEL?  At least during setup, I
> want to plug my laptop into there to work on the ZyXEL configuration.

make sure you leave 192.168.1.1 on the ZyXEL. If there's no other machine
with 192.168.1.1 on the network, you should be able to mess with the ZyXEL
from a laptop with a static IP (like 192.168.1.252). If you have a bunch
of machines on 192.168.1.1, just unplug the one you want to mess with.

> At present, with "192.168.1.252" assigned by the OpenWRT box, and, by
> default, "192.168.1.1" assigned to the "LAN" by the ZyXEL, I have no
> communication from the ZyXEL outwards.

make the 192.168.1.252 static. Also make sure the main router isn't having
IP address collisions with the ZyXEL or your laptop. Move it to another
neetwork.

> I attempted to add a Static Route for Default on the ZyXEL, pointing it
> to the LAN address, but that was not accepted.

by which box? What was the error mesg?

Joe

jmack (at) trilug (dot) org - azimuthal equidistant
map generator at http://www.wm7d.net/azproj.shtml