[TriLUG] Network configuration help?

Mauricio Tavares via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Mon May 3 11:23:02 EDT 2021

On Mon, May 3, 2021 at 11:05 AM Brian McCullough via TriLUG
<trilug at trilug.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 30, 2021 at 05:29:55PM +0000, Triangle Linux Users Group discussion list wrote:
> >
> >  If your home router has multiple
> > ethernet cards (eg it's an old repurposed PC, my preferred type of router),
>
> Good point, Joe.
>
> Yes, for years, I used to use various machines running OpenBSD as my
> firewall machines, but more recently have switched to lower-power,
> lighter machines with OpenWRT as my primary outward-looking machines.

      I am joining in later but from what I understood, you want to
run two wifi networks with their separate APs: guest and private. I
too have an openwrt router which I have never been able to run two
separated wifi APs on; it might be because I wanted one to be 5GHz and
one 2.4. Is there anything in the wireless network which is an
appliance that needs to access your private network? If not, consider
making your wireless by default guest and then configuring the router
to do openvpn (openwrt has the package).

Now, if I missed something else in the thread, start with this fancy
ascii diagram and make it look like what you want:

 [Modem]

 [Router]----+--------(port2)[desktop 1]

             +--------(port3)[Cafe au sucre]

             +--------(port4)[Something]