[TriLUG] Network configuration help?

Wes Garrison via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Mon May 3 11:50:20 EDT 2021

Sorry if this has been mentioned, but you may not need both APs at all.

Many APs support multiple SSIDs on the same AP, and can assign them to
different VLAN IDs.

That would allow you to route traffic on SSID1 over VLAN1, which has access
to the network, while traffic on SSID2 is part of VLAN2, which only has
access to the WAN port and the Internet.

I believe OpenWRT supports this, but I'm not sure.

Some router/AP combos make this even easier by setting up a "Guest SSID".
If it has that, you'll probably want to turn off the "captive portal",
which is that annoying screen that requires you to agree to terms before
you continue.