[TriLUG] Network configuration help?

Brian McCullough via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Mon May 3 14:15:36 EDT 2021

On Mon, May 03, 2021 at 11:23:02AM -0400, Triangle Linux Users Group discussion list wrote:

>       I am joining in later but from what I understood, you want to
> run two wifi networks with their separate APs: guest and private. I

Correct.

> too have an openwrt router which I have never been able to run two
> separated wifi APs on; it might be because I wanted one to be 5GHz and
> one 2.4.

I should point out, if I am misunderstanding, that the primary router,
the one that I am calling "OpenWRT," does not do WiFi, but just wired
traffic.

> Is there anything in the wireless network which is an
> appliance that needs to access your private network? If not, consider
> making your wireless by default guest and then configuring the router
> to do openvpn (openwrt has the package).

I think that the clarification is that the device that is to be attached
to the Guest network ( or devices ), is only to be allowed to see The
Internet, all other wired and wireless devices are part of the private
network.

> Now, if I missed something else in the thread, start with this fancy
> ascii diagram and make it look like what you want:
>
>  [Modem]
>    | (WAN)          vlan1
>  [Router]-----------+--------(port1)[All Wired Devices including WAP]
>                     | vlan2