[TriLUG] Ubuntu reinstall and copying over /home

via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Wed Jun 23 11:31:43 EDT 2021

Yeah, if you want to kill your system. Ubuntu wires a new /etc during installation. It reflects partitioning in fstab.  You said you had a separate partition for /home. It may well point to a different UUID. It could take a year to fix that alone. Play it safe and let the ubuntu installer do its thing. Then copy DATA files. Edit newly created dot files that you previously customized. I have never copied over /opt, etc., during a new install.

Another example: if a program is updated to a need version during a new install, three of .config might be wrong for it.

Good luck.

-- Roger Broseus
Pls excuse auto-correction induzed tiepos.
The inventor of autocorrect has passed away - may he restaurant in peas.