[TriLUG] maildir to PST conversion.

James Toebes via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Fri Jul 16 16:00:41 EDT 2021

For various reasons (corp mandate, migation to O365....)  I need to
convert my extensive maildir archive to a PST file.  Current security
changes preclude evolution and thunderbird from connecting to the
migrated account.   I was able to comply with the new policies by using
Outlook web app as a chrome app so I still have a mail client.

I have an extensive mail archive in maildir folders spanning several
years.  It will fit in the storage requirements of the migrated account.
   My maildir folder cannot be copied to a windows machine due to the
filenames generated with invalid windows filename characters.  The few
tools I downloaded for windows cannot access the folder on linux due to
the same filename errors.

My original thought was to convert the maildir to PST then just import
the PST with outlook on a windows machine to import into my account.  I
had use libPST to originally export the PST to maildir with readpst.  It
does not appear to have a corresponding writepst feature.   So what I am
looking for is

         A way to convert maildir to PST. Preferrably with open source
tools on a linux machine.

         _OR_

        Some other way to import a maildir into an office365 account.
was playing with the idea of import to personal gmail account (looks
supported), linking to office 365, they migrate that way.  Concerned
about breaking corporate policy on migrating email to non-company
assets.

I am hoping someone in Trilug might have a solution..