[TriLUG] Recommendations for NAS with Solid State Drives

Matt Flyer via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Tue Aug 3 10:08:54 EDT 2021

I agree with Mauricio, stay away from Drobo.  We tried one at work and
it, well just didn't work.
We've had good results with QNAP, but haven't tried them with SSD, just
a solid raid configuration.
>From my perspective, speed, which is the advantage of an SSD, doesn't
seem to be a priority for an NAS unit. Resilience and recovery are more
important.
One problem I have heard about creeping up on RAID volumes, especially
large ones, is that they get into an error state and take so long to
rebuild, that they effectively can't recover or something along those
lines.