[TriLUG] Recommendations for NAS with Solid State Drives

Joseph Mack NA3T via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Tue Aug 3 10:25:26 EDT 2021

On Tue, 3 Aug 2021, Matt Flyer via TriLUG wrote:

> One problem I have heard about creeping up on RAID volumes, especially
> large ones, is that they get into an error state and take so long to
> rebuild, that they effectively can't recover

Here's from Jim Salter, who gave a talk to TriLUG on ZFS a while back.

short answer: Use mirroring

http://www.openoid.net/zfs-you-should-use-mirror-vdevs-not-raidz/

(I'm running 8 zfs mirror pairs here at home.)

Joe

jmack (at) trilug (dot) org - azimuthal equidistant
map generator at http://www.wm7d.net/azproj.shtml