[TriLUG] Digital Media Management

Joseph S. Tate via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Sun Aug 15 23:17:32 EDT 2021

I'm trying to figure out a decent set of tools for managing my personal
digital content. I'm falling behind in managing what I have (mostly rips
from physical media, but some Amazon and Google MP3 purchases, and other
DRM-Free files I've collected over the years, plus thousands of photos from
various devices.

I'm using mini-dlna to publish my library on my local network, and I'm
using TinyMediaManager (TMM) to help manage my digital TV and Movies, but
is there something similar for Audio files? Ebooks? Photos? There used to
be a program that I used with GRIP to quickly add metadata to mp3 files
after searching musicbrainz, but I haven't seen it updated lately. I tried
a couple of tools found by searching, but was unable to make any work well,
so I'm looking for new tools. Bulk updates and file renames are absolutely
essential, as is support for OGG and FLAC. I once messed up a bunch of OGG
files by adding ID3 tags to them, making them illegible to many tools.

I'm kinda done with the idea of web apps for doing this, so tools like
Calibre are a last resort, plus it's absolutely awful at bulk operations.

Anybody have tools they love?

--
Joseph Tate