[TriLUG] Web Site access testing

Brian McCullough via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Tue Aug 17 17:16:31 EDT 2021

On Tue, Aug 17, 2021 at 05:06:27PM -0400, Triangle Linux Users Group discussion list wrote:
> Brian,

Hi Roger,

> First, I'm no expert on such problems.
>
> Certainly does sound like a potential network problem to me. But, I was not
> clear about your last statement: can you SSH "into" the troublesome
> location.

Yes, using IP address.  DNS does not work --- OK, the more open, more
responsive machine is called "QA," while the other is called "DMZ." To
get to the DMZ machine, I mostly have to be on a Windows virtual desktop
within their network.  For the QA machine, I can get to it from my own
machine through their VPN.  Then I can get to the DMZ machine from the
QA machine with "ssh IP-address."  However, accessing the web site on
the DMZ machine is only available from the Windows machine.  I can also
use PuTTY on the Windows machine to reach the DMZ machine.

All of this is very convoluted and restricted by "Policies."

> I had a seeming network problem and looked for diagnostic tools. The only
> one helpful was, sadly a Window$ application: Ping Plotter. A free full,
> trial version is available; later, the limited kicks in and is still useful.
> It helped narrow down where in the chain the obstruction occurred. The more
> I think about it, the more I think the block is on the receiving end.

Hmmm.  I wonder whether I could install that on the Windows Virtual
Desktop machine.  I have, of course, been ignoring anything with the
word Windows.

> IF you come across a helpful Linux tool, let us know.

Definately.  As I said, I don't know about how to ask for the tool that
I think that I need, since I don't think that I am trying to exercise
the Apache server itself.  ( At least it responds very promptly on one
copy of the machine. )

> /Roger - in Maryland / NoVaLUGer
>
> --
> Roger W. Broseus - Linux User