[TriLUG] Uninstalling Default python and python3.X from Ubuntu

Samir Faci via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Tue Aug 17 23:14:31 EDT 2021

If you've installed anything from source there's usually no easy way to
uninstall it.

This post will likely help get you most of the way there, it's specific to
python 2.7 but you can easily adapt it to Py 3.x

https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/190794/uninstall
-python-installed-by-compiling-source

In general if you're looking for custom code you want to install using a PPA
is a much better solution.

Alternatively there might be snap/flatpak/appimage that would help I think
they run in userland (ie no root required) though I honestly can't speak
intelligently on any of them as it's one of those "new toys" that I haven't
had the time/energy/interest to read up about. If you're interested, a
potentially useful article
<https://dev.to/bearlike/flatpak-vs-snaps-vs-appimage-vs-packages-linux-packaging-formats-compared-3nhl>
.

Depending on what you're doing with Py 3.x I would suggest looking at
docker and such if you're familiar with those tools at all.  It lets you
sandbox apps so you don't need to worry about how to uninstall the 8
different libraries all conflicting with one another.

--
Samir Faci

On Tue, Aug 17, 2021 at 5:26 PM Matthew Glassman via TriLUG <
trilug at trilug.org> wrote:

> So Ubuntu 18.04 came with Python 2.7.X installed as a default.  I want to
> remove it which should be easy enough with apt remove.  However, Python 3.x
> was installed from a tarball and used the source code that came with
> (./configure, make, make test, install) and I'm wanting to remove it and
> start over with no python installed so that I can go back and start fresh.
> Is there an app that can do this or would anyone who has had to do this
> piecemeal be able to direct me to what directories need to blown away?
> --
> This message was sent to: Samir / csgeek <samir at esamir.com>

Thank you
Samir Faci