[TriLUG] Web Site access testing

Steven Tardy via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Tue Aug 17 23:53:53 EDT 2021

On Tue, Aug 17, 2021 at 2:39 PM Brian McCullough via TriLUG <
trilug at trilug.org> wrote:

> A question for "the oracle."
>

> I have been doing various searches and not coming up with the answers
> that I really need.
>
> I have a web site that I am working on, and in one "location" it
> responds almost instantaneously while in a different one, a page load
> takes about 30 seconds.
>
> These are supposedly identical RHEL 8 machines, just in different parts
> of the network.
>
> I have limited access to the machine internals in the case of the slow
> machine ( just a "user" ), can't even read more than the PHP error log.
>
> The tools that I have been finding have been of two classes, the ones
> that test "performance" of the Apache server itself, load testing and
> such.  The other ones are designed for the network administration
> people, looking for open ports and various other network faults.  If I
> had access to the network internals, they might be of some help.
>
> I expect that I am not asking the correct question, which is normal.
> What might be the right question, if there is one?
>
> I can't even ping from the fast machine to the slow one, even though I
> can SSH by IP address.

Are the pages https or http?
In the “DMZ” is “proper internet” blocked or allowed?

If this is https and blocked internet then the issue is likely trying to
*validate* the cert (which it is supposed to do).
Can either allow internet to Akamai/aws/wherever-the-root-cert-is-hosted.
Alternatively you can [view cert] and [export cert] and [import cert] which
may make https instant.

Happy to help.