[TriLUG] Web Site access testing

Leonard Boyle via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Wed Aug 18 02:30:44 EDT 2021

Good Evening

Here are a few thoughts, Hopefully I am not repeating something already
said or not correct.

1) when I see a ping command fail and another command work, I think that
someone has blocked icmp api's used by ping

see https://www.redhat.com/sysadmin/ping-traceroute-netstat for more
detail.

You can try. The tcptraceroute command.
 or
Searching tonight I see there are the linux commands hping2 and hping3
which should work, but I have never tried.

2) Windows comes with a command called pathping which looks like a simple
version of ping plotter.

---- Looking at Brendan Gregg's book "System Performance"

3) There is the mtr command. This was installed on the linux images with my
last job, but it was old and bug ridden.
this command is akin to the windows pathping plus more.
The software is on github and appears to have more current support

https://github.com/traviscross/mtr

len boyle