[TriLUG] Distro choice for desktop

via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Sat Oct 23 12:19:26 EDT 2021

I have used Ubuntu for decades (!). It "just works." With disk space, etc., cheap, why not just go with a standard install? If there's are apps you consider the be "cruft," just dessert them.

I prefer a light weight desk top manager and use XUbuntu with the lighter weight XFCE interface.

I've installed MINT for others and they like it. MINT steers away from SNAP packages used by Ubuntu even though it's Ubuntu based. MINT has as good, active use forum. I consult it even though my personal desktop is running Ubuntu, as is my Lenovo X-1.

I stay with one distro to avoid confusion including deb vs. Yum package management.

At its root, hdw device support depends largely on the Linux kernel which is likely to be pretty same across distros that stay up to date. Correct me if I'm wrong.

-- Roger Broseus
Pls excuse auto-correction induzed tiepos.
The inventor of autocorrect has passed away - may he restaurant in peas.