[TriLUG] WiFi AP recommendations

David Burton via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Tue Nov 9 12:45:48 EST 2021

I've been very pleased with my Netgear R6400
<https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/datasheet/en/R6400.pdf>
router. I got it used/refurb for a pittance, not quite three years ago. I
reset its settings, configured it appropriately, and it has been absolutely
rock-solid reliable ever since. There are a lot of them for sale at low
prices on eBay
<https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fsrp=1&_from=R40&_nkw=netgear+r6400&_sacat=0&LH_ItemCondition=1000%7C1500%7C2500%7C3000&rt=nc&LH_PrefLoc=1>
.

Netgear introduced this model about seven years ago. I don't know whether
they're still producing it, but they're still regularly updating the
firmware.

The case is styled to look something like an F117 stealth fighter, and they
appropriately call it a "Nighthawk."  Also appropriately, it is BIG. I
don't mind that, but you might.

I'm using it as a router, but under "Advanced" in "Settings" it has a
"Wireless AP" (access point) mode.

Before I got this router, I went through a couple of TP-Link routers. They
initially worked pretty well, but seemed to get flakey with age. That
hasn't happened with this router, at least so far.

I don't know whether all of Netgear's routers / APs are this good, but this
one has made me into a Netgear fan.

Dave