[TriLUG] Fwd: WiFi AP recommendations

Wes Garrison via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Wed Nov 10 12:54:11 EST 2021

So anything that can be powered over Ethernet can be called PoE.

Cisco famously had a non-standard implementation for years that used 48V
with +/- inverted from standard implementations.  This is used on the
ubiquitous 7920/7940/7960 VoIP phones.

Ubiquiti's 24V and 48V passive PoE implementations are also non-standard.

802.3af, 802.3at, and 802.3bt are the official PoE standards, colloquially
known as PoE, PoE+, and PoE++ representing a bit over 12W, 25W, and 51W/71W
respectively.
Power over Ethernet - Wikipedia
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_over_Ethernet>

If the sticker on the device says 9V, I wouldn't power it with anything
much higher than that.  Certainly no higher than 12V.  If it says "input:
9V - 56V", then have at it.