[TriLUG] structured wiring switch

Aaron Joyner via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Wed Dec 8 15:24:38 EST 2021

Networking and computing equipment is not nearly as sensitive to hot and
cold as you might imagine.  I have a similar structured wiring box in my
current garage, with a few dozen ports of structured wiring terminated in
it.  I've cut a hole in the front of the box, and run a bunch of 25 foot
patch cables out of it into the full height 19" enclosure that sits in
front of that box.  That rack contains a handful of boxen, including a few
big switches, some Cisco and Avocent toys, a Dell PowerEdge R610 that
serves as the internet gateawy, an R720XD as a media server, and a UniFi
CloudKey Gen 2+ managing access points and cameras.  Over the last decade
I've had a variety of standard PCs thrown into the bottom of that rack,
and   The temperature fluctuates from the low 50s to the mid 80s, and
nothing much cares.

There's a separate question to consider if you plan to use a single
commercial combination router / wireless access point.  It's probably a bad
idea to put your AP inside a metal box in the garage, so you may not get
much value out of having the structured wiring run to that location.  If
you can get a small switch and a router in that box (eg. a switch and a
UniFi USG) and place the APs elsewhere it can be a very nice setup,
especially if you don't have a practical need to visit that box often.