[TriLUG] structured wiring switch

Mauricio Tavares via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Thu Dec 9 11:29:09 EST 2021

On Wed, Dec 8, 2021 at 5:06 PM Mike Viscount via TriLUG
<trilug at trilug.org> wrote:

> One other thing ... depending on the state of the build, I've known a few
> people over the years who went in during the build and ran their own wires
> for things like networking so if that's an option, even if it's just the
> wire without the connectors on the ends you might consider that depending
> on the builder cost to do it for you.  Network cable to every room in the
> same box as the cable or phone assuming those are being wired.

      Also, how deep is the network gear you plan on slapping in?

My thoughts:

1. Find a wall somewhere in your house where you could put some
shelves that are as deep as you need. Don't worry; end product will
not be shelved. Think of a cabinet. Something nice that will not look
out of place. Maybe it will be something bolted to the wall, or more
like a cabinet where you can put a picture of a cat on the top of it.
Bottom line is it has to fit all the network crap plus UPS. IKEA time
vs DIY? Up to you.
1.5. A patch pannel-looking outlet just for the network cables on the
wall can be easy to hide and will make moving things much nicer.
1.6. Power can have its own outlet.
2. Tell builder where you want cabinet to be and see if he is willing
to run the cables there.
3. Ensure conduit running the wires and cables through the wall is as
big as possible. Reason is if you need more network runs you are in
business.