[TriLUG] structured wiring switch

Matt Flyer via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Thu Dec 9 11:11:00 EST 2021

In the house I had in High Point, I put one of these boxes in the garage
and had all the tv, ethernet, and phone (landline was still a thing back
then) run into this panel. Needless to say, it quickly became obvious
that what was needed was an ethernet switch to connect all of the wired
ports, which went to every major room.  While it was a bit of a mess, I
had no issues with sticking the switch, an old Netgear switch.  Never
once did I have to do anything like reset it, etc.

If it isn't too late, I would strongly recommend running Ethernet ports
to more than one wall, especially in the bedrooms, because you don't
know exactly where furniture is going to go in the future.  I would also
consider running some extra lines for things like a WiFi access point or
two, or possibly even an outdoor wireless bridge (run cable to the
attic.

One thing that I have done in past construction that also saved my
proverbial bacon more than once, is run a conduit from the basement /
crawlspace to the attic to facilitate running wires.