[TriLUG] structured wiring switch

Dwain Sims via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Thu Dec 9 13:16:42 EST 2021

Two thoughts....

1.  In my neighborhood (in North Raleigh) I doubt that we ever get fiber in
my lifetime.  The houses are not densely packed enough to entice any
provider to move into this area.  Which is likely the same reason we will
never be annexed by Raleigh either!

2. I recall back in the early 90s helping a former boss and his brother in
law pull ethernet cable in two houses they were having built near
Pleasanton CA.  We got in there just as the framing was done.  Electric and
water pipes had been completed as well.  I do not recall how many feet of
CAT5 we pulled, but it was a lot.  Every room got 3 or 4 drops.  We even
put a couple on the front porch.  We were not concerned about finishing
every connection, they just wanted flexibility for the future.  I am pretty
certain both houses have been sold since then; I wonder what the current
owners think about all of that cabling?