[TriLUG] Geek....privacy and data security ------------was: Re: TriLUG Digest, Vol 3940, Issue 1

Samir Faci via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Mon Jan 17 14:09:41 EST 2022

Others more or less answered this but the big mistake you're making is
assuming that someone is sitting down and saying, "Oh I know I'm going to
target Bob (no relation to any RL Bob you may know) He sounds like a good
target"

Rather it's let's run this script that does apply these exploits wherever
it can find a vulnerability and see how I can take advantage of the
situation once I have access.

Usually it's.

1. Hiding code to use your computer resources as part of a botnet to run
attacks and other malicious activities you're unaware of.
2. Stealing personal information like credit cards, banks etc as it
monitors your computer.
3. Holding your computer hostage and not allowing you access to your files
unless you pay some $$ value to unlock it.

Now for the disclaimer:

  A. Security is something every software engineer should know a bit about
but it's not really my area of expertise so take my comments with a grain
of salt but I still think it's good advice.
  B. Security is a very important concept, but the topic I posted about was
privacy and data ownership.  Though very frequently privacy and security
are related it's not specifically the focus of the panel.

Hope this helps.

--
Samir Faci