[TriLUG] Geek....privacy and data security ------------was: Re: TriLUG Digest, Vol 3940, Issue 1

Steve Litt via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Mon Jan 17 15:05:01 EST 2022

Michael Rulison via TriLUG said on Mon, 17 Jan 2022 12:32:52 -0500

>How active should I be in implementing protection  beyond the standard
>MSFT defenses and being sensible about the occasional phishing email
>and staying away from social media?

Others have answered your other questions, and I agree with their
answers. As far the preceding question:

1) Have a firewall between the Internet and your LAN.

2) Have a firewall on every computer on your LAN.

3) Don't click on links in an email unless you know the sender and are
   relatively sure the link is legit.

4) Everywhere you go, use a different password, and don't reuse old
   passwords. Passwords should be at least 10 characters and include
   lowercase, uppercase, punctuation and numerals.

5) When you lose control of an email address or phone number, contact
   everyone who had that phone number or email address and get them to
   delete that number or email address. Otherwise the new owner of the
   number or email address can take control of your account.

As far as the firewall between the Internet and your LAN, keep in mind
that there's currently a security flaw allowing badguys to bust into
many storebought router/firewalls. For this reason I'll soon be making
a BSD/pf firewall. Some great PF documentation can be found at
https://www.openbsd.org/faq/pf/ .

HTH,

SteveT

Steve Litt