[TriLUG] gnucash

Mauricio Tavares via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Tue Apr 19 21:38:14 EDT 2022

On Tue, Apr 19, 2022 at 9:11 PM Joseph Mack NA3T <jmack at trilug.org> wrote:

> On Tue, 19 Apr 2022, Mauricio Tavares via TriLUG wrote:
>
> > Does anyone use gnucash in a business? How well does it work?
>
> have been using it for a small business and then as well for my personal
> finances for about 20 years.

      Good to hear! Does that mean you do not use it to generate
reports to write, say, tax returns?

> -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 2380574 Apr 29  2001 /usr/local/bin/gnucash*

      Am I correct to assume the if you are not using the DB support,
the stuff is stored in the something.gnucash file?

Also, what lurks in ~/.local/share/gnucash?

> I gave a talk on it for TriLUG back then.

      I think it is high time for a new talk... hint hint

> I'm still using the version I installed back then, so I don't know how
> stable the current versions are. The version I have crashes on some string
> search (I forget what), so I always do a save before a search.
>
> It's worked perfectly for 20 years. It's never lead me astray, made a
> mistake or confused me. I can't speak too highly of it.

      How do you generate reports for last year? I put some data in
2021 and it only wants to tell me about 2022, without giving me the
option to ask about the past.