[TriLUG] flatpack-free laptop distro

Steve Litt via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Sun Jun 5 04:27:27 EDT 2022

Wes Garrison via TriLUG said on Sat, 4 Jun 2022 14:41:30 -0400

>I definitely agree with Roger that in my experience XFCE, LXDE/LXQT and
>Mate all seem to work well with older hardware.

I agree with LXDE/LXQt. I know nothing about Mate, and I've found XFCE
glitchy and bloaty. Also, consider running just plain Openbox. That's
what I do, and I like it more each day. Openbox uses much less resources
than any of the Desktop Environments listed above.

[snip Debian and Ubuntu information]

>Also +1 on SSD upgrade and max RAM for old hardware.  It's amazing
>what a 15 yr. old machine can do with enough RAM and an SSD.

That's for sure!

To the Original Poster (OP), I've been using Void Linux with the
Openbox window manager and dmenu from Suckless Tools for 7 years, and
I'm totally satisfied. Void Linux still uses regular old packages for
their software, they have a pretty wide variety, and most of their
software is pretty well up to date.

SteveT

Steve Litt
Spring 2022 featured book: Making Mental Models: Advanced Edition
http://www.troubleshooters.com/mmm