[TriLUG] flatpack-free laptop distro

Wes Garrison via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Sat Jun 4 14:41:30 EDT 2022

I definitely agree with Roger that in my experience XFCE, LXDE/LXQT and
Mate all seem to work well with older hardware.

XFCE and Mate are both continuations of the old Gnome 2 codebase, and are
really fast.  I personally feel that the design of Mate is slightly nicer
and more modern, but XFCE is fine, and would be familiar to a pre Windows 8
Windows user.  The design is more Windows 2000 than Mate.

Debian installer supports all 3 out of the box without having to download a
special distro like Lubuntu or Xubuntu, and should probably give you the
flexibility you're looking for.

Debian's orthodoxy is frustrating to some folks, so it may be better to
install XFCE or Mate on a regular Ubuntu installation if that's the case.
If you go with Debian you basically have to enable contrib and non-free
repositories and apt install firmware-linux-nonfree to have a useful system.

Debian Testing (currently Bookworm) is pretty stable and more Ubuntu-like
than Debian Stable (currently Bullseye), which is usually a few years
behind.

Also +1 on SSD upgrade and max RAM for old hardware.  It's amazing what a
15 yr. old machine can do with enough RAM and an SSD.

-Wes