[TriLUG] Middleware: was: have a job - Python, Django, Postgres, Flask

Rob Rousseau via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Wed Jul 13 10:11:03 EDT 2022

It originated from IBM to describe the "middle" layer between the backend
Database server and the frontend Web server. Typically, the application
server that would do the heavy lifting for websites, such as your share
holdings for Fidelity or computing actuarial numbers for insurance
companies and figuring which investments to make with it. IBM capitalized
on this with their Websphere offering, but later on Middleware came to
represent over 100 different types of "application" servers that handled
just about anything that wasn't a webserver or database. For example,
Cognos, ConnectDirect, Datastage/eGate/SeeBeyond, Inform, iPlanet/Mail,
LDAP/Oblix, Omnigate/Webconnect, OAS/Oracle Reports, Tumbleweed, Tuxedo,
WebLogic, Akamai, etc...
Former IGS Middleware Services Team Lead
Rob