[TriLUG] anyone need and Edgerouter 12P?

Robert Wagoner via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Tue Jul 19 00:04:53 EDT 2022

Wes, you shouldn't need to make crossover cables for this, and you
might want to avoid doing that.  !000BASE-T uses bidirectional
signaling across all 4 pairs, so a straight patch cable is the right
thing to use.  Even for lower 10BASE-T or 100BASE-TX which have a
designated transmit pair and receive pair, nearly all contemporary
hardware will automatically handle the MDI/MDI-X crossover, so you can
use straight cables consistently and avoid a lot of potential
misconfiguration problems.  It's possible that a handmade cable might
have been the culprit which caused the PoE to get stuck in the first
place.  (Not judging)
--
Robert