[TriLUG] New disk woes

Mauricio Tavares via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Wed Aug 10 13:52:29 EDT 2022

On Wed, Aug 10, 2022 at 1:47 PM Brian McCullough via TriLUG
<trilug at trilug.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 10, 2022 at 12:11:17PM -0400, Triangle Linux Users Group discussion list wrote:
> > 1.  I really doubt that the sizes matched up.  Not a spinner to an SSD.
> > There is going to be differences in the exact number of blocks.  (Not that
> > this is your issue.)
>
> For my purposes, it is "close enough."  I have about 220 GB free in my
> VG.
>

> > 2.  I would bet that your UEFI settings for the particular boot partition
> > are messed up.  That would explain why neither drive will boot.   There is
> > no easy way to tell you how to fix this either.  You kinda have to get in
> > there and 'mess with it.'  (this is a technical procedure....)  You can let
> > the UEFI "find" the partitions that it sees and try them until you find the
> > stanza that will work.
>
> I lean towards this answer.
>
> In my research, I discovered ( was reminded of ) "boot-repair-disk," a
> stand-alone bootable ( or Ubuntu application ) utility which seems to be
> the answer.  I haven't yet let it do its thing, but it has found
> everything visible ( all of the LVs ) on the new drive, and is ready to
> go, except that it said that since I was running GPT, I needed a new
> partiton ( 1+ MB ).  I am working on resizing the PV to make room for
> that.

       GPT wants an extra partition. And I made mine too large

/dev/sda2  511M  5.3M  506M   2% /boot/efi

If you need to blow up your HD partition, I suggest you to use dd to
write junk in the first few sectors. it can be as simple as (assuming
drive is sda)

dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/sda bs=1024m

and let it rip for 20s before cancelling it.