[TriLUG] New disk woes ( 13th )

Brian McCullough via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Sat Aug 13 09:19:36 EDT 2022

Just a final ( not really ) note on my issues with upgrading my laptop.

I had decided that, instead of trying to just "fix" the boot issue, I
would just install a new, upgraded OS, on the new SSD.  Since the parts
of the disk that would be affected by the install were in partitions
different from the "important" ones, I felt fairly safe in this answer.

I was also creating brand new partitions for root, usr and var, so that
I could preserve things that live ouside of home, such as /etc/fstab.

I had a couple of new installers on USB sticks, Debian 11 and Ubuntu
22.04 LTS, so started the process.

Unfortunately, the installer kept failing, usually early in the process,
including the step where it loads extra components from the USB stick,
which has nothing to do with the new drive, and is long before that is
accessed.

Some of the errors that were showing up on the logging screen made me
start to be suspicious of the main board, such as clock errors and event
failures.

So I have put that on hold while I went to eBay, found a similar but
newer machine, and ordered it.

We will see what happens when I receive that.

Brian