[TriLUG] New disk woes ( 13th )

David Burton via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Sun Aug 14 20:19:11 EDT 2022

On Sun, Aug 14, 2022 at 5:20 PM Brian McCullough via TriLUG <
trilug at trilug.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 14, 2022 at 11:18:23AM -0400, Bill Weinel wrote:
> >
> > Hi Brian,
> >
> > Sorry to hear about your installation troubles...
>
> That's life, isn't it?
>

> > I saw in some previous messages some had recommended using dd to copy
> disks.
> > While that works, you get minimal to no feedback until the dd task
> > completes. If it fails, you get to try again. :-(?? For future
> reference, I
>
> I specifically did not use DD, because I wanted the content, not the
> underlying format.
>

> > would recommend using Clonezilla for this task. It's free, it provides
> > excellent status information, and it does a much faster job of imaging
> your
> > hard drive to either other other hard drive, or to an image file for
> storage
> > and backup purposes.
>
> Thank you for the recommendation.

ddrescue is great.

Many years ago the author, Antonio Diaz, did a major rewrite, at my
suggestion, basically to my specs. He has continued to improve it
regularly, ever since. It comes pre-installed on Linux-based "rescue DVDs"
like PartedMagic and SystemRescue <https://www.system-rescue.org/>.