[TriLUG] Switch from Spectrum Internet to AT&T Fiber

David Both via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Thu Sep 22 13:29:31 EDT 2022

I switched to AT&T from Spectrum a couple years ago about a year after
they first came into my neighborhood. I had been having problems with
Spectrum's routers as they kept failing and my bandwidth took a nosedive
when the neighborhood kids got home from school and they started gaming
and later when they started streaming TV shows and music.

After one 2-day outage I got fed up. But I had problems with AT&T in the
past so was unsure about making that switch.

I am glad I did make the switch to AT&T fiber. I had only one outage
for 10 minutes since I switched and that was fixed by rebooting the ONT
and the router.

I had the tech -- who was very knowledgeable but YMMV -- put the ATT
router into pass-through mode and I use my own internal router. He also
turned off port blocking since I do have email and web servers I run in
my home. I also know how to access the ATT modem to make changes which
is pretty simple actually.

I have been much happier with ATT fiber than I ever was with Spectrum
and am glad I switched.

I hope this helps.

David P. Both, RHCE
He/Him/His
www.both.org - My personal web site
www.Linux-Databook.info - Home of the DataBook for Linux
DataBook is a Registered Trademark of David Both
The value of any software lies in its usefulness
not in its price.

— Linus Torvalds