[TriLUG] fsck'ing an image vs a partition

Steve Litt via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Wed Oct 26 03:11:49 EDT 2022

Brian via TriLUG said on Tue, 25 Oct 2022 10:30:52 -0400

>Hi Gang,
>
>I've got a head-scratcher.  I have an image of an ext4 filesystem, and
>a microSD card.  I can run fsck -f on the image file and it reports no
>errors.  I dd the image onto the SD's first partition (which is more
>than large enough for it).  I dd the image BACK from the SD card into
>another file, diff the two files and they're identical.  HOWEVER, when
>I fsck the SD partition, there are errors galore.

Just for fun, run smartctl -t short on the sd card device, check the
results with smartctl -a, and then run smartctl -t long and check again
with smartctl -a. This might or might not shed light on the situation.
Also, just for fun, run Memtest86 on your RAM. These are things you
should probably do every couple months anyway.

SteveT

Steve Litt
Summer 2022 featured book: Thriving in Tough Times