[TriLUG] reason not to mix batteries in UPS

Joseph Mack NA3T via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Sun Jan 8 18:39:44 EST 2023

On Sun, 8 Jan 2023, shay walters wrote:

> I've become an advocate of replacement on a schedule rather
> than waiting for them to die.

Hi Shay

well that's a good idea (didn't occur to me). This will save the house
being filled with beeping noises, when I'm trying to sleep, until the new
batteries arrive (as well as save me from swollen and leaking batteries).

I used to do this with disks, but they last so much longer now that I just
leave them till they fail (and they aren't failing).

I've just put a note in the calendar on my phone.

> I try to replace on a 3-year schedule, but I'm such a procrastinator
> that the actual dates end up more like 4 (or 5) years - that's why I try
> for 3.  :-)

I've never got more than 2.5 years from a set of batteries. They're at
13.2V (I seem to remember) so they're not being charged hard. How to you
get 5, 4 or even 3 years out of them? Is it the battery? (One of the
Duracells leaked badly at 2.5yrs.)

Joe
Don't upgrade a working machine - it won't work any
better - it could work worse; it may not work at all.